Thursday, February 14, 2013

Behind Every Great Man . . .



     Surely you've heard the quote, 
“Behind every great man there’s a great woman.”

     It should be:
“Behind every great man there’s an even GREATER woman!”

     Now before you dismiss this post as some devious way to exalt myself, please allow me to admit and openly confess that I am not a great man.  I’m really a nobody that ended up meeting a somebody!  This post is all about my better half.   She is everything I wrote down in a prayer to God about a future wife, and then some.  With Valentine’s Day in mind, here’s to the special and amazing woman of God you are, Brenda Joy.

     Being a married man since 2002, I can see now (and hope to continue to see more in coming years) how influential and powerful the woman is in the home.  As a couple weaves their lives together as one under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, they begin to hold sway over the other in ways that are intense, psychological and spiritual.  For instance, good or bad, my attitude, mental and spiritual well-being are directly affected by the status of my relationship with Brenda, my wife.  If we’re at odds, I’ll do life on a poorer level than when we’re at peace and in complete unity.  The old adage is true:
“If mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.”
     Most women know and use the power they have over men.  But most women fail at understanding that if they could build their husbands up with that same influence it would benefit their relationship on every level.  It’s actually a fulfillment of the law of Christ that you carry the burden for, encourage, and love others.  How much more true and magnified is this than in a marriage?
     A strong woman takes the weight off!  Believe me.  I would crumple under the weight of the world if I didn't have the security of my home in place.  That security isn't in the fact that Brenda and I are so compatible we could have easily been matched on eHarmony.com.  And you won’t find it in our check books or gas tanks or closets or refrigerator either.  Our security is found only in Christ!  When I see my wife reading the Bible and living out the fruits of the Spirit in our relationship, I know we’re going to be O.K. no matter what obstacle we face.  All that does is spur me on to read the Bible more and challenge my own integrity and character in everyday life.  W.W.B.D.?  It’s not like she doesn't experience weaknesses; but her steady resolve to put Christ first in every part of our marriage takes the weight off!
     Some men have money or power or fame.  I have a Godly, gorgeous wife.  So, bam. 

     Now, I’m sure I need to be helping her out like doing the dishes, or laundry, or something besides writing this post . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment