Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Reason I Like Rainbows



     Whenever people want us to pick our favorite color, I get perplexed because I like them all.  It's probably because I don't want to leave one out.  Being an artist, I can’t imagine a pallet with a missing color.  It would be like a mechanic with a toolbox without a socket wrench, or a chef with drawers that have no whisks.  Sure you could get by for a little while, but why?
 
     I often get teased because I openly embrace the rainbow.  The sentimentality isn't political, but artistic.  There’s just something about a band of colors that unite and stretch across the sky to show the world that differences can be overlooked!  Can we learn from the rainbow?  We, too, can work together to glorify the Creator of those colors.  The same One who painted the universe also made different personalities available to the Church so that she would be brushed with life and character.  And that’s the real reason I like the rainbow so much.  

     Do you feel like God gave you something to offer this world?  Do you ever feel like others can sometimes try to fit you into a mold you weren't created for?  I can so relate.  The answer, however, isn't found in individuality and forcing your views on others.  Instead...

What I’ve learned is that if I want others to accept my differences, I must also accept the differences in others.

     The Bible says that God commands His “blessing and life forevermore” on those who choose to live in unity (Psalm 133).  Do you have a roommate?  Do you live with your family?  If so, you know firsthand how difficult it is to mesh lives.  There is nothing worse than being in the mood for a certain cereal and grabbing a bowl, a spoon, and the milk only to find that your cereal is gone!  I don't know about you, but it's enough to get me mad!  But I believe God invented the family to smooth off our rough (& selfish) edges.  This translates well for the church family too.

     I heard a pastor (Dr. Ron McManus) talk about a newcomers meeting he held regularly for inquiring members.  He made sure he said the following, “Here in our church someone’s going to make you mad.  That’s when we’ll see what you’re made of!”  The truth is that living with unity is difficult.  

     I’ll tell you a secret.  The key to unity is our willingness to let the Holy Spirit work in our relationships.

     My former pastor Don Yandell says, “The Holy Spirit is the oil of relationships.”  That reminds me of a time I drove for a food vendor delivering cold sandwiches.  Everything was smooth sailing on the highway with pretty blue birds flying overhead, and the smell of fresh-cut grass in the air . . . I think I even saw a rainbow in the sky.  Then all of a sudden, BAM!  My Suzuki box truck came to a screeching halt on a busy 3-lane highway.  I pulled over safely amidst the smoke rising from the hood.  Come to find out I ran out of oil!  One of the pistons had all it could take with the intense heat and friction and decided to crack the engine block.  It cost the company ten grand.  One little quart of oil could have spared many tears and a serious rump-roast back at the office!  The Holy Spirit acts as the oil in our relationships that helps prevent friction.  A small encounter with the Holy Spirit on a daily basis can make a large impact in the body of Christ.  The fruits of the Spirit will help us treat each other the way Christ has commanded us: with love.

     Everyone has a place in God's kingdom!  So the next time you think you can do without your Christian brother or sister, think of how the rainbow would appear without the color yellow, or red, or blue.  Or purple.  Let's not forget green.  Oh, and orange . . . and . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment