Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Love the Law! Wait...what?!


     The other day I was reading in Psalms and came across a disturbing verse.  It was Psalm 119:16 and says, “I delight in Your decrees . . .”

     I stopped reading and thought, "Wait just a minute . . . so let me get this straight, Mr. Psalmist, you like rules?"  Well that’s the first.  I don’t know anyone who particularly enjoys rules (especially when the penalty of consequence is invoked upon them).  Most of us agree that we need rules.  We need that stoplight in town telling people to go or stop so that the student driver doesn't T-bone my car with my kiddos in it.  We need the signs at Wal-Mart and Target that say “Stealing will not be tolerated” to help avoid our sky-scraping inflation from being further damaged by people who want to live outside the law.  But to like these rules is entirely different.  Obviously the psalmist isn't talking about the general laws of the land, but about God's laws; but the same principles of our love and obedience to them still applies.

     As I read on in Psalm 119, another verse popped out that I could relate to better: “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law” (v. 18).  Now that’s more like it.  I’m all about honesty.  Sometimes I want to say, “God, Your laws stink!   So help me to see the good in obedient living!”  It’s usually about this time that God will smile and pull me closer to Him like a father does his son with a gentle side hug.  He’ll show me a verse like in Psalm 119:24 that says, “[My] statutes are [your] counselors.”  Then He’ll show me several more verses like 67, 71, 92, 105, 130, 140 and then back to 59.  “You've done it your way, cowboy,” He will say.  “And your way never works!” 

     God’s right, you know.  He’s always right.

     The psalmist writes in verse 32 that the purpose of God’s laws is not for restriction, but for freedom!  Jesus said that His burden is light.  He doesn't want to harness us with a lifestyle of rigid rules.  In fact, He only has two basic rules that all other rules flow out of.  Consider these two rules the mother and father of all laws and regulations: 1) Love God with everything in you, and 2) Love and care for others like you love and care for yourself (Mt. 22:36-40).  Now that’s simple.  Not only simple, but truly liberating as well!

     Maybe that’s what the psalmist figured out. 

     Consider the old saying of the hippies, “It’s all about love, man.”  They were on to something . . . but never joined that idea with God’s Word.  The marriage of love and obedience is really what it’s all about.  As I continued reading on in Psalm 119, I learned how the psalmist loved God’s law and chose to follow and obey them.  It may sound easy and honorable, but he ends 119 with a confession: “(v. 176) I have strayed like a lost sheep.  Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten Your commands.”  Isn't it funny how the closer we get to God the further away from Him we seem?  Perhaps I’m weird that way. 

     Like the psalmist, all I know is that I need God to guide my life.  I am a miserable screw-up that will continue to get it wrong all the days of my life when I do things MY way.  Thank God for His Holy Word that helps me; guides me; and encourages me!  It makes me want to jump up and shout, “I love the law!  Wait…what?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment